Splitting machines used in the tannery industry allow a value add-up for the hides and allow extra earnings by selling the split. One of the decisive components for the split result is the bandknife.
The proper use of a high quality knife has the following effects:
– higher output per knife and less processing costs per hide.
– higher output due to less time needed for changing bandknives
– increased leather prices due to exact thickness of upper leather and split
– less risk of damaging the splitting machine
– less cost for grinding wheels and spare parts
In the following, ALBER wants to inform about typical defects of bandknives that can be avoided following the hints and understanding the reasons why defects happen.
Important hints for the use of ALBER Splitting Bandknives
– The knives have to be taken out of the crate or case one by one.
– Before mounting the knife on to the machine the grease has to be taken off.
– Remove protection of welding joint only after the splitting bandknife has been mounted on to the machine
– Never bend the knife ate the welding joint. (The welding joint is in the region of our stamp and is protected by a bandage.)
– The rear pusher at the splitting machine has to be aligned perfectly.
– The fly-wheel of the splitting machine must be clean.
– Please let the newly fitted splitting bandknife run for a few minutes on the machine without grinding so that it can settle properly on the machine.
Wet-blue: upper 5,0 – 5,5 mm
lower 3,2 – 3,7 mm
Lime: upper 5,5 – 6,0 mm
lower 3,7 – 4,0 mm
Crust or dry leather: upper 4,0 – 6,0 mm
lower 2,5 – 4,0 mm
There might be the necessity to change the bevels according to the requirements. The bevels when splitting big skins in wet-blue condition have to be changed to upper 4,5mm and lower 3,5 mm.
Please contact us in case of further questions.
Splitting bandknives – suggestions